Monday, June 30, 2008

Wildfire Corn Parking Database

Recently I was handed a new "database" project. The plate it was served on was dirty, it did not have a garnish and it was covered in a heavy brown, lumpy sauce. I thought about eating it before the maggots came but I took the plate to the sink instead and consulted the chef. Turns out, after many turns, that some mucky made a version of a database in Excel, stay with me here, and needs monkeys to provide data and meta data, GIS layers and maps. Oky-doky. The chef is a good sport and intimate with data, and has devised a global and useful project we can make from this silly endeavor. The mucky can have the fodder for his busy work. Happy Ending, eventually. I plan to learn more than politics with this one.

Do I need to go on about crude being $148 a barrel. My little car costs $70 to fill up. And I keep getting this: well if the price of oil goes down the investors lose. Fuckers are making billions and us stiffs still have to get to work.

There are 1,400 wildfires burning in California.
The Midwest is under water from recent major storms.
Corn crop decreased by 7%, I don't care but it is will be justification to raise food prices.

Ride your damn bike!

It is grim out there. But we have to buck up and one way to do this is to make pie.
Peach pie is good. Also strawberry. It makes a person happy, this pie. And it brings people together for a very simple reason; the love of pie. In order to achieve a good crust, get a kid who is around 11 - 15 years old, preferably skinny and with cold hands. Give the butter, flour, ice water and recipe to this kid and have it make the crust. Tell it to stick the crust in saran and in the fridge for a few hours. Make your filling, roll out that fine fine crust, fill it and bake it. The reason for the skinny kid? The smaller, colder fingers are key to the finest crusts. Seriously I have tried sticking my fingers in ice water, which hurts after while, and it is not the same. I don't have fat fingers but they are warm. Also, my pie crust maker insists on cold butter so leave the butter in the fridge until your maker is ready. Remember, you have to share the pie with the maker, they cannot be paid off. They want pie.

When the pie is done, call your friend and tell her to bring over some ice cream and a bottle of wine. Invite a couple of others too, fresh pie is good and your pets will not beg for any, they don't like pie unless they are weird that way, in which case take them to the vet immediately.

The proverbial whip cracketh.

No comments: