Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What a week!

Today is Wednesday, September 17, 2008.

On Sunday Lehman Brothers filed Chapter 11 and my brother in law lost his job of 15 years. Basically it was his life because he works like 15 hours a day and loves every minute. Whatever, not my work ethic, but it was his and the POOF, gone. Yesterday Barclays announced that they'd pay $2B for the investment banking division and POOF, he had a job again. For now, all I'm saying... Meantime, my sister who started a fancy pants new job four months ago at a fancy pants bank got "let go" because the company has decided to "take a different direction" and POOF she is unemployed.

AIG the worlds largest insurance company just got a government bail out for $80B.

What does it mean when two of the largest institutions on the planet take dives like this?

And there is a good chance that Creepy McCain and Scary Sarah will be in the White House come January.

And David Foster Wallace hung himself last Friday.

And my payroll did not go through on time so I had this avalanche of fees charge my account. Fuckers. I hate banks. Greedy Lending and Stupid Lending are the reason we are in this horrible mess.

Bank of America just bought Merrill Lynch, stay tuned, Bank of America could be next.

I had started that SQL Admin class and had to drop it. I just do not know enough Unix right now and do not have the time or inclination to learn it as I go. I would rather learn it first, take the class and get an A. I feel crappy about it because I do want to continue this vein of learning. I made myself a promise to dust off my Unix skills and get better at it so I can enroll in that class next semester. Though honestly I might have to get a different instructor. He was a bit too much of a dandy for me, horribly full of himself and narcissistic. But I do feel sorry for him too, I think he may be a bit lonely but so full of bravado, that he would never let it show.

Challenges for the week include running a simple script and actually understanding what it is I am typing, yard work, sushi making and creating a vlookup that will run across many many columns and output criteria based on user entry as well as a description of the output. This is wonky. I would rather do it in Access but the client insists on Excel.

No comments: